Monday, December 28, 2015

Gift sewing

I spent most of December making some gifts for Christmas.  I can show them here now that the gifts have been handed out.  I joined the Australian Sewing Guild's sew along and enjoyed making these bags as part of that crew. 

The pattern used is the Tiny Essentials Tote Bag from Little Moo Designs.  This is the most complex bag I have ever sewn.  The instructions cover many pages and we did get extra daily tutorials through the sew along.  I still found there was a few mistakes in the pattern and I believe there is probably better ways of doing some of the steps in making this bag.  However saying all that I think the outcome was successful.

I made one bag for my husband who requested the lining be orange.  I made the bag for carrying all the cords and chargers around when going on holidays.

I made three pockets on one side and two on the other and tried to make them roomy enough to hold the cords.  the netting pockets are edged with fold over elastic.

I also made one for my cousin in feminine fabrics that I hope she likes.

To go with the bags I decided to make some earbud pouches.  I used this tutorial from Dogs Under My Desk patterns.

The instructions are really good and the only difficulty I had was sewing a neat circle. I had to unpick the pink one a few times until I was happy with it.

Since then I have bought some more Dog Under My Desk patterns and plan to make some more bags next year.  It is a bit addictive.

I think the gifts were well received.  Ciao for now kittens!

Friday, December 4, 2015

Another Ottobre 02/2013-14 summer frock

I have finished my "proper" version of this dress.  I made my trial version and details are in my previous post here.   

There was some changes I decided I needed and they were to:
  • narrow the shoulder width a little 
  • adjust the back for swayback.  
and I am pleased that my changes worked.  Particularly the sway back as I haven't done it too often.  The waistline seam made it easy to do.  I just took about 1.5cm height at the centre back seam along the waist seam of both the back bodice and skirt pieces tapering to nothing before the side seam.  The green arrows point to my alteration.

No fabric pooling in the back

Once again I used a facing and not a lining.  The facing is a combined neckline/armhole one and looks like this cut out. 

Click to see larger
 I was able to follow the instructions pretty much for inserting the lining to sew in the facing.  The only additional steps were to finish the lower edge of the facing (with the overlocker) and tack the bottom of the facing to the side seams (just to help hold it in place).

I wanted to show you my finished invisible zipper.  I was very proud of how the waistline seam matches up after inserting the zip.

I was thinking of making this version an inch or so above my knee but after consultation with my DH, I left the hem at knee height.

Here is a shot of the neckline without a necklace so you can see the shape of it.  A bit different to what you see about.  I quite like it but do cover it with a necklace as I don't believe the black/white is my most flattering colour.  

The fabric is a rayon twill I bought from Tessuti fabrics ages ago.  I think I had planned to make the suzy pants originally.  I obviously changed my mind and now I have a lovely cool summer frock (and a remnant to make another small item).

Ciao kittens - next gift making season is in full swing!