Monday, October 26, 2015

Gym pants make-over - Jalie skort

Last year I made the compression shorts (here) from the Jalie 2796 pattern as I needed another pair of gym pants in a hurry.  I have worn them a couple of times and they did fit the bill, but I don't feel comfortable wearing them.  This style of pants is just out of my comfort zone, so when I realised they sit in the drawer and don't get worn, I decided they needed a make over.  

The best idea I could come up with was to add the skirt to make them into a skort which I know I am a lot more comfortable to be seen in.  I traced off the skort pattern in the same size as the shorts and assembled the skirt.  I decided to leave off the side pockets so cut one side piece only (no top pocket piece)  and adjusted the hemline to be straight across.

I used some tactel nylon lycra for the skirt front and back and I cut the side panels out of sports mesh.  I have used these fabrics before (see this post).   The compression shorts will be underneath so nothing will show through the mesh.  I thought it would just look cool!

I tried to attach the skirt to the compression shorts but to accurately sew the skirt, stretching it and lining it up with the existing waistband seam was not going to happen in any nice way. So I thought about unpicking the waistband but I had really sewn it well!  Overlocked the seam and then top stitched over the seam with a triple zigzag.  

When I tried to unpick this black thread from black fabric it was a disaster and I was just making holes, so I did what all good sewists would do next and just cut the seam off!.  Then I could assemble the skort as per the instructions.

The shorts were a bit long under the skirt so I shortened them slightly as I don't like the look of the shorts showing below the hem of the skirt.

I am pretty happy with the makeover and wore them to gym today but I found the legs kept sliding or rolling up and I was pulling them down all the time.  I am not sure if that is connected with shortening them because I don't remember the shorts being like that before. 

I plan to try adding some gripper elastic to the legs.  I haven't done that before.  Any tips  kittens?

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Sweater knit contest ... Paprika Jasper sweater

When we went to Tamworth for our little Pattern Review Sewing Down Under get-together at the start of the year, we visited the local Fabric Store and I bought a few lovely pieces from this gem of a shop.  (you need to visit it if you are passing through Tamworth).  One of the pieces I bought was a lovely sweater knit in a gorgeous teal colour.  Soft and squishy, I am not sure of it's fabric content, but wonder if there is some rayon in it.

Paprika Patterns Jasper in sweater knit
Now that I was looking for what to sew next, Pattern Review has obliged by pointing me in the direction of sweater knit sewing as they are running a sweater knit contest.

back view
Well in this nice series of being pointed toward what to sew next, I had previously muslined the Paprika Patterns Jasper Sweater.  I had planned to make it in a nice sweatshirt knit I had, but I did not have enough to make it so left it for the moment.  

This is how you ensure you don't make a wearable muslin - ugly fabric time!
The Jasper sweater is not intended for a sweater knit but for a sweaty knit (sweatshirt) or a French terry but I read up on how to deal with sweater knit fabric and decided to go for it.
Welt pocket

Happy fabric lining the pocket

Vintage button on the collar epaulet
I have not put my details on sewing it here as it is all contained in my review - here

Ciao kittens - a gym item makeover next...

Sunday, October 11, 2015

No more sewing bee... onto new challenges.

Well I am happy I got so far through the PR sewing bee, but I didn't get through to round 4.  Felt sorry for a minute until the challenge came out.  Sewing a uniform for the Olympics... way too far into costume territory as far as I am concerned and I am really not interested in spending 10 days sewing an outfit I would never wear again, even with a chance at the big prize (slim chance!)

So I have moved on and my first stop was to sew a palette cleanser, easy knit sew (well two actually) with a high wear-ability factor. 

Another pair of Papaercut Anima pants, this time in the 3/4 length.  These were made in a piece of black cotton/lycra purchased from Crafty Mamas.  Used a shoelace for the tie again and took one inch out of the leg length.  (Plus my regular changes - no faux fly and adjust front crotch).

Plus made another Ottobre top (02/2015-17).   This time in a remnant piece of green rayon (previously made into another Ottobre top with a pretty ruffled sleeve - blogged here.)

I think I am really getting their prescribed binding method.  I am pretty happy with how this looks done with a twin needle (2.5mm).   Still not convinced I need a cover stitch machine.

I have to say I wan't sure if I would be comfortable in the 3/4 length pants, but I just love them - all good - covers the sins but a bit cooler than the full length!

Now that I have that out of my system, I have gone back into contest mode and decided to enter the Sweater Fabric Contest on Pattern Review.  

More details on that one next post kittens... Ciao!

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Sewing bee round 3 pics

Once again I am just going to put up some pics but if you want more info the review is here.

The finished jacket...

So much hand stitching...

The buckle and the buttons were the last thing made before photos.  The buckle was the hardest part to understand in the instructions but I think I sewed it as intended.

 the lining...

and a final pic on Diana (a little darker than IRL) ...

All the entries are here if you would like to see them.  Such a great field of entries that I am not thinking too hard about whether I get through or not.  I will just have to wait and see.

Ciao kittens.. I think a palette cleanser next....