Monday, May 21, 2012

Evening bag V7354 and op shop shopping!

I have finished my sewing for the ball, by making a bag to go with my dress for the evening.  The pattern is Vogue 7354.  Now OOP but a cute little pattern.  This is the third time I have made View A.  The other two have been gifts for girlfriends.  Last time I went out with one of them, she mentioned what a great little bag it was and how much she used it and it set me wondering why I hadn't made one for myself.  

I have lined it in the green Genoa used for the ball dress and the outside of the bag is a a vintage silk velvet.  It is gorgeous to look at and touch, but a PITA to work with. 

This photo is with the flash to try and show you the detail.



 This photo is without the flash and you can see the true colours better.


The silk velvet is old and their are holes in the fabric.  Even though I inspected it carefully I still manage to cut one piece with a hole, so had to cut another piece.  This one I cut the wrong way around, so had to cut a third!  Third time lucky!  I interfaced the main fabric with silk organza.  This pattern is quick to make but you need accuracy and patience. I don't think I scored real high on those today, but some hand-sewing later I think I have hidden the inaccuracies well enough!  Nearly every seam is a bias so requires lots of pinning and basting (and patience).   I may have to call this the patience bag.  I have made this bag three times but only just noticed you are supposed to leave a hole in the lining to pull the bag through the right way.  I have been pulling it through one of the handles and it works (with patience!) 

As well as sewing today I went shopping this morning in a great local Vinnies which has a 'vintage' section and really scored!


This is the haul (excluding some pretty china plates I bought for feeding the cat).  At the bottom of the pile is a wool blend lined skirt in a greeny colour.  I am hoping there is enough of this to cut a Jason vest for my eldest boy.  If not it will become a skirt for me.

I also found a seam gauge? measuring thingy.  I have a couple of these at home but they are cheap and bent out of shape.  This one is a Bernina and really sturdy.  I wish one had come with my machine.  I also picked up some embroidery thread I use for tailor's tacks.


And the best part - zips!  See the great one in the middle with the round pull tag.  I have no idea what to make with this.  It is not a separating zipper so I cannot use it for a jacket, but if I could find a top/pull-over with a zipper at the neckline I would be happy.  Otherwise it may get used in a make-up bag.


If you have any suggestions for patterns for tops with zips I would love to hear them.  The ball is this week-end and I plan to photograph the outfit fully then.  Ciao for now...

7 comments:

  1. embroidery thread for tailors tacks! brilliant! that's the best tip I've heard in ages. thanks. cute cute cute bag, I bet the velvet feels amazing. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always regretted not buying that pattern...hearing how tricky it is lessens my regrets somewhat...though your version will make a sweet touch to your evening outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet little bag. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great attention to detail! The bag is such fabulous idea. You did well at the op shop, too. I never find anything good - but I must admit, I don't go regularly. Isn't there a Jalie top that uses a short zip in the upper yoke section of a pullover top? Want me to look further and find the number?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought there was too. I will have a look for it.

      Delete
  5. That is a lovey bag and so useful with it's wrist strap, may have to search for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great little evening bag! Worth working with the troublesome fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear what you think...