Saturday, April 30, 2011

Kwik Sew 3153 ... Swimmers

I wanted to learn to make swimwear as we are getting a swim spa as part of our renovation/extension. Swimwear is horribly expensive to buy and I figure I will need more (when the Spa actually gets filled) and I am wearing them regularly. I made KwikSew 3239 which contains patterns for a variety of mix and match pieces. Mine worked fine, but I am not going to subject you to pictures of my very white body in a very purple two-piece. Suffice to say it will probably only be worn at home. However it did give me some practice sewing with swimsuit Lycra and rubber elastic.

For the next set I decided I needed more sensible togs, so chose to make Kwik sew 3153.


I made them in black and made the high cut leg option. I also made the wrap in a polyester yoru chiffon fabric, picked up on the clearance table at Spotlight.

This piccie shows the back so you can see the nice secure back.


The only change I made to the pattern was to add an additional layer of lining to the shelf bra. I sewed two rows of stitching down the middle and left the sides open. I inserted bra cups into the pockets. It doesn't add heaps of support but feels a bit more secure and more modest. I copied this off my gym wear tops and crop tops. This piccie shows the inside. You can see (if you look closely) that my machine missed a few stitches sewing the rubber elastic, but this wide elastic is tough and I think it did pretty well. I did not have this issue with the narrow elastic (probably not as thick as the wider elastic I imagine).


I haven't had a chance to try them in the water yet, but hope to soon!

I really enjoyed sewing these - more than I thought I would. Nothing was terribly difficult but sewing the elastic is probably the trickiest part. Overall I am very happy, but I suppose the proof will be when I get them wet!

My review of the pattern is here.

15 comments:

  1. The one piece looks very professional - I'm sure the two piece does as well.

    I've had this pattern in the stash ever since it was released in Oz, but still haven't got around to sewing it, as I managed to pick up a couple of tankinis from Millers.
    I won't get another season out of the current swimmers, so you've inspired me for next season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great Sue. I've never had the courage to attempt swimmers.
    BTW I hope you don't mind me saying, but you look fabulous - all that hard work at the gym has certainly paid off. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look fabulous Sue....I'm jealous that you have no back fat LOL. Great work on the swimmers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! They look fab - and I like the addition of a shelf bra - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great swimmers and the back shape is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it!! It looks so professional and well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! Swimsuits looks complex, but they're really easy to make and surprisingly not that expensive, either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome swimsuit! I tried one last summer but the elastic threw me and it's now stuffed in a drawer. Seemed really quick if I could master that elastic part...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great swimsuit - I have this pattern and have made it up too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great bathers and beautiful job, as always. You look great in them too

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great swimmers, but isn't it winter?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the shape of the back. This is both flattering and practical--definitely a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look great in your swimsuit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, what a professional looking job on this. I know what you mean about the cost of a swimsuit. Yikes! I also have plans to make a couple this year. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great swimmers. Stick with the high cut leg option. I like the bust support instructions. Thank you for sharing this. And you look great.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear what you think...